Friday, July 21, 2006

17 July 2006: Mission: Malaysian HICOM, London

Around 5.45 am (mind the a.m.) I took a bus to London. Alone! My main intention was to make a new passport. We discussed quite a bit on the arrangement of this London trip because Atuk wanted to go to MSD London too. In the end, it was agreed that I was to go alone to Malaysian HICOM office.

Entrance of Selfridges

The bus arrived in London half an hour later than scheduled due to traffic jam on M40. Upon arrival, I straight away took a taxi and summoned the driver to take me to Belgrave Square. I think I'd rather not discuss what happened at the office, but I didn't do the passport! (I have all the correct documents, the money, the photographs etc. I didn't fight with anybody as well. Please don't get the wrong idea)

When I left the building, it hit me that I was alone;
1) Yippee, I've longed for this moment. Time alone.
2) No crying kids to worry about.
3) I didn't have to carry that heavy thermos!
4) I could go in and out of any shop I want to without having to push that fiddly pushchair and run over someone's feet.
5) I needn't worry about my children leaving their dirty fingerprints on the shop's items.

Marble Arch

I called home to inform Babah that I didn't do the passport. Babah was cool about it and said something like to go and enjoy myself in London. He also said "Belilah apa-apa you nak kat Oxford Street." Babah was so kind.

Babah also said that Atuk was not feeling very well, so they decided to stay at home that day.

I spoke to Sarah too. She asked, "Mama egi mana? Mama aik bash eh?" She sounded alright and happy.

After that lengthy phone call, I suddenly felt so lonely!

Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park

Then, I called a friend, Kenakelayan just to let her know I was in London. She said, she was sort of free to meet me around lunch time.

I braved myself to take a bus and met KKL at Mawar Restaurant, Edgware Road, around 12.30pm. The only place we could think of that serves ABC. I was so glad to have a familiar face around me. We ordered 2 ABCs, Mee Goreng Mamak for me and Nasi Campur for KKL.

ABC's machine was out of order! I ordered Teh Ais, instead. Then the waitress came and told me they didn't have mee kasar. Cuma ada bihun. So I opted for nasi campur as well.

I know what I ordered were simple Malay food. But they are heavenly food here especially if one has not gone home for quite a long time.

An Unknown location. I took
the photo while I was on a double decker bus.


I can't stress enough how glad I was to actually see KKL that day. We talked and gossiped (heh heh) Nasiblah siapa yang terbatuk tu ya? Unfortunately she has another engagement to attend to that afternoon, so we went our separate ways around 2pm.

So, there I was walking along Oxford Street all alone. Going in and out of the shops. Big SALE signs everywhere. I even went into Selfridges, a place where I usually avoid because of its well known expensive items.

I wanted to go to other tourist attraction spots like, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, and London & Tower Bridge. I was more familiar to reach these places by tube. But after the 7/7 incident, I found myself quite scared to use the tube service.

Of course, there were a lot of buses but I ended up walking to Marble Arch, Hyde Park and a few other places near Hyde Park. Until I felt I was too tired to walk. Finally I took a bus that has "Victoria Station" sign on it. Paid £1.50 single fare and stopped somewhere near Victoria (or so I thought).

London Victoria Station

London is so dull without a company. How I wish Babah was there. Or even the whole family! I think I don't mind them crying now. It's far better than sepi keseorangan!

To make things worse, my return bus to Coventry was delayed for an hour!!! I hate waiting! I was so relieved to finally getting on a bus. It was packed with passengers, and there were at least 3 infants on board. Yes, yes, I'm sure their parents would want to feel happy with their crying children rather than sepi keseorangan.

18 comments:

Kaklong Syikin said...

mama, betullah, kalau dah ada family ni esp. anak2, mmg tak syok jalan sorang2 utk jangka masa berjam2, sepi rasanya. saya rasa apa yg mama rasa.

ok..next time boleh baharui passport tu ya.

dyanna said...

Mama Sarah cut loose in London...hehe.

K Nisak..
I am also not a fan of exploring a new place alone (travelling alone I don't mind), mati jugak semua kutu atas kepala ni... hope you'll get your passport done the next time (another trip to London? With the family perhaps??).

Mama Sarah said...

syikin yealah. no one to talk too. bak kata mak cik saya, "basi air liur ni"

dyanna tulah. dulu2 pernah gak eksyen kata i don't mind travelling alone. tu zaman2 macho.

sekarang ni baru tahu, and most importantly, siapa nak ambik gambarku?????

pycnogenol said...

Pics of Marble Arch, Victoria Station and the rest, brought back lots of fond memories for me. I was staying at Lillian Penson Hall, near Paddington station. On my free days, I used to walk from Paddington right up to King's College in Strand(that was where I was studying, then). Of course, walking in and out of Selfridges, Marks and Spencer and the whole lot of other Departmental Stores was my way of amusing myself, as well as to keep myself warm in winter.

And I just LOVE walking all alone in London.

Anonymous said...

If only Pycno was around in London eh? hehe...but he lived there 10-15 yrs ago! Aik...awat bunyi macam film The Lake House huh?

Anonymous said...

pycno
i'm glad you say the pictures bring back memories. i read some other blogs of people in cardiff and it does the same to me too.

also bie, rupa2nya you tak suka jalan sorang2 kat london.

KALAU I! jalan sorang2 lah yang best!!!! (kan pycno??) there's so much to do in london, kalau i jalan sorang2 i'd enter ALLLLLL th shops on oxford street, then break for sushi (at yo!sushi) then go to Foyles to browse and buuuuuuy books, then visit the Apple store to look at the latest iPods then hop from starbucks to starbucks. and if i have to wait for a bus i'd buy a croissant (or Onigiri) and magazine at the bus/train station and enjoy a cup of coffee while reading the magazine .... bliss!!

Mama Sarah said...

pycno i remember your 3 hari 2 malam entry. I tried so hard to enjoy myself. tapi sebenarnya i was quite concious being alone, of pick pocket and kot2 lah ada terorrist attack ke. the weather was very hot too. i'm sure you know, if it's summer here, it's hot and dry. unlike msia hot and humid.

dith alamak, the lake house tu cerita apa eh? i mmg sokmo ketinggalan bus bab2 movie ni.

mynn hari tu panas sungguh! mmg tak syok. kalau ada kawan, boleh lah tahan sikit. lagipun teringat kanak2 kat rumah. dah makan ke. main air ke? bnyk sgt mkn aiskrim ke.

Mama Sarah said...

btw bby: ikutkan hati mmg ada aje benda nak beli. and boleh je keluar masuk starbucks beli frap. tapi bazir duit je.

Kiah Kardashian said...

mama's day out??!!

Heheh...mmg seronok tapi deep down inside rasa bersalah/tak senang. Normal la kan.

Mama Sarah said...

zakiah mana mama's day out. lebih kepada urusan formal sebenarnya. pastu sementara nak tunggu bas balik coventry, dah boring tak tentu pasal.

dith said...

Mynn-

Itu lah beza :

Lelaki dgn perempuan,
Laki dgn bini,
Emak dgn bapa!

Perempuan, isteri atau emak kalau berjalan sentiasa ingat kepada suami, anak dan seluruh keluarga!

Tak macam lelaki!!! Bila sorang ENJOY sakan! (kalau boleh semua kedai kat London dia masuk) :p

Mama Sarah said...

DITH hahahaha... keep that coming DITH! mynn needs good reminding once in a while.

pycnogenol said...

Whether there's reminder or not, we're not going to allow that to spoil our hobby. Betul tak Mynn?

Mynn, you're my buddy!!

Mama Sarah said...

pycno amboi2... ! i guess i have to learn some tips from Mama Elvis on how to be a Sabar wife.

Anonymous said...

For me it depends... i love to go to book shops, gadget shops, coffee shops.. i can spend hours and hours in them... hehe... but baju shops.... errrrr... nooo!!!!

Masa bujang dulu selalu 'jalan' (sebab tak der duit) kat london.... hehehe... best of all gi ke Forbidden Planet (no not a tak senonoh shop) a books/video/comics shop for sci fi and fantasy fans.. i even go there to buy models (read:toys) of starships..... i used to have USS Enterprise, Voyager and a Klingon Battle Cruiser.... talk about geeky stuff!

Anonymous said...

My mother once told me that she actually prefers to shop alone, rather than take me along, since I have very low tolerance for window shopping and the such. Friends who know me would usually take me to the bookstore and 'park' me there first :P

But I'm trying to learn to up the level these days- for socializing's sake... hehe.

mynn said...

hehehe
thank goodness ada kawan2 tolong save (i.e justify the thrill of shopping alone) - thanks pycno, ok, crimson!

Anonymous said...

Famous quote : "I don't shop, I buy." - OK